Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Can something I do prevent someone from coming to know Christ?


Question:

I heard an illustration during a sermon I was listening to the other day. It describes a lighthouse keeper who was repairing a piece of glass that broke. He did not have a replacement for the glass so in the place of where the glass would go we put a piece of plywood. During the night a ship was appraoching at just the right angle to where the light was blocked by the piece of plywood and the ship crashed into the reef. He used this describe how some things in our life could block out the light of Christ to others and cause them to crash. This illustration got me thinking. Could something I do or a mistake I make prevent someone from coming to know Christ that would have had they never been affected my my mistake or something I did?

Answer:

There is a reason that you are conflicted about this issue. God's Word does include a tension at this point. On the one hand, it is clear in Scripture that our behavior can negatively impact the spiritual well-being of others. One of the clearest examples of this is found in Matthew 18:


4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5"And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me. 6But if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. (Matthew 18)

We also see that we can positively impact the spiritual well-being of another:

19My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, 20remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins. (James 5)

We are even responsible for addressing the missteps of others and told that if we fail to issue a warning, others may die, but we are responsible. Look at the watchman passages in Ezekiel chapters 3, 18 and 33.

Now that you are afraid to go outside and mess someone up royally, let's look at the other side of the issue. Let's not forget that God is involved in drawing sinners to himself. Romans 5:8 asserts the priority of Jesus in drawing us to God:

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

One of my favorite passages is found in John 6. I love this passage because it demonstrates both sides of redemption's coin, God's sovereignty and man's responsibility and choice:

43"Stop grumbling among yourselves," Jesus answered. 44"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. 45It is written in the Prophets: 'They will all be taught by God.' Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me.

We see both here. God draws, but we have a responsibility to listen and learn.

Now, let me answer the breadth of your question. Could you injure a seeker's journey towards God by some act of hypocrisy that "darkens" their soul to the light of Christ? YES. That is a sobering thought which we need to keep in mind. However, don't assume that you are the only way in which God will influence this person. It has been found that the typical person rejects the gospel invitation, either actively or passively 5 times before saying yes to Christ. If your witness is ineffective due to sin, or just a lack of knowledge, God will raise up other voices. No sincere seeker will be left without an opportunity, especially for us in this land where we are exposed to the gospel on so many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment